NNR’s Response to COVID-19
Following Honourable President Cyril Ramaphosa’s announcement of the National lockdown, the NNR has implemented a variety of measures to ensure the health and safety of employees while maintaining its important regulatory mandate for nuclear and radiological safety and security, despite the challenges posed by the COVID-19 pandemic.
The NNR has activated its business continuity plan, to allow remote working during the lockdown period. The following measures have been taken to maintain nuclear and radiological regulation during the pandemic:
- Established and activated an internal online communications infrastructure to keep all employees informed of their role during this time, and to offer guidance and updates in support of their physical and mental health.
- All critical NNR staff continue to work remotely and have the necessary tools to maintain key regulatory activities.
- The Minister of Mineral Resources and Energy confirmed that regulatory oversight on nuclear facilities are an essential service and that relevant NNR staff receive official permits to travel as and when required.
- NNR Inspectors continue to have access to authorised facilities and remain ready to respond promptly in case of any potential nuclear or radiological safety or security event at authorised facilities and activities.
- We maintain regular communication with authorisation holders to ensure that regulatory requirements to protect health and safety of workers, and the public are adhered to and that reporting on safety and security matters are undertaken as required.
- In all activities, the NNR adheres to national guidelines regarding prevention and spread of COVID-19, including social distancing. We are therefore postponing all planned “face-to-face” public engagement activities until further notice and will continue to explore new options and means for information sharing and engagement with our stakeholders
The NNR will continue to abide by government’s safety guidelines during the
COVID-19 pandemic and remain steadfast in focusing on critical services to assure stakeholders of effective regulation of nuclear and radiological safety and security as conferred by the NNR Act.
Kindly address all public concerns/enquires to: email@example.com
Manager Communications and Stakeholder Relations